Search This Blog

Welcome.......

Xillions of gratitude for you, who made this meaningful for me. Even if this has got nothing to do with you (probably), but still, you are among those who I share the piece of mind I have. Thank you so much for your time spent here in my blog. It's priceless, even more than a relationship laid somewhere. Let's make a bond that maybe invisible but unbreakable. Thank you again.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

MLT

I don't know if anyone of you are familiar with this career. 4 years back then, I know nothing about MLT. The early intro that I got was from my sis and mom. But I'm still a bit blur about it.

Medical Laboratory Technologist or MLT is a 'test runner'. That's what I call it last time. MLT or so we can call them as junior scientist or researcher,are authorised and highly trained personnel, who conduct variety of tests in the laboratory-medical laboratory mostly. MLT are always disguised by the machinery in the lab. Some people might not know that MLT exist. Sad. But nowadays, more high education bodies promote this field all over the country. 

The medical procedure won't go as smooth as what we see now if MLT didn't take part in it. Yes, I know that doctors and nurses are visible and easier to get, but MLT is not least important compare to them. MLT do the dirty work as well as the nurses. MLT do work outside the lab and of course, MLT is a must in medical world. 

Medical laboratory aren't just restricted to one particular lab. Just like any other area in medic, MLT covers almost all. There's Hematology Lab, Biochemistry Lab, Histology and Serology Lab, Microbiology Lab, Virology Lab, Drug Lab, Blood Bank and  Immunosero Lab. Each lab have their own list of tests that was offered there. So, like any other job in this world has to offer, MLT is not accepted in filling their mind of knowledge with not only abnormalities in human, the replication of viruses, the mutation of the bacteria, but also, MLT must always updated themselves with the latest machinery offered, new formulated method in running tests, latest reagent used, and current disease around the world. 

So what basically does a MLT do in daily work routine? Run tests of course!! But that's not all. Usually, in the morning, when MLT first come to work, they punch card..(duhh..) Okay, here how it goes. First things is always QC, you know, Quality Control, in every reagent and the machines used. Then, continue with previous sample if received 24 hours. The first thing that will happen to the samples are, being 'dump' at the Receiving Counter. Each lab have their own receiving counter. So when the sample are in, the MLT will start labelling, recording, sorting and rejecting sample that are not filling the criteria. Then, the data will be key in to the system, LIS. Each sample will come with a form, where the test needed are stated there. So, the MLT really have to open up their eyes to sort the sample so that minor mistakes won't happen.

The tests that are run by machines are an easy business to deal, but the MLT still have to monitor the progress. And as for the test that are run manually, it's fun until you have to deal with hundreds over samples, tiring. After the samples are correctly sorted, the tests takes place. Some tests done in a nick of time and some takes a little more time. When the results are out, every detail of the printed words and figure are monitored carefully. We don't want to have some error in running the test, do we? After reporting the test that have been done, validate the result, the flow continue til end of the day. But that's not all. There's more. Still have to deal with additional tests, uncompatible result, reading slides, etc. MLT, as I mention earlier, not only stuck in the lab. MLT also needed at medical ward and OT. Especially the one that involving the bone marrow and fine needle aspiration. The 'thing' have to be done in that particular moment. If the MLT is assigned in Blood Bank, -this is fun- mostly the job is outside. Mobile!! Blood drive!! Simple work but have to deal with people and must have good PR. 

There are lots of other interesting stuff about being MLT. You have to experience it to really understand them. I've been hooking myself up with this since I put myself in college. And I was having lots lots of fun during my clinical training. I didn't just stop there. I'm continuing my journey now. Still not satisfied with what I have now. I want more in research field.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

hav things to say??